Michael Kelly of Kentucky is an active member of the RCAeroTowing.com discussion forums. He’s been sharing his meticulous build of a 1932 BS2 Balestruccio with step by step updates. Michael’s build was recently featured in Radio Controlled Soaring Digest in a submission authored by Vincenzo Pedrielli.
According to Michael, “After purchasing the excellent book ‘Italian Vintage Sailplanes’ by Vincenzo Pedrielli with illustrations by Francesco Camastra I decided to drop contemplating other projects to build this one. I sure think it’s pretty! It has what I like in a ‘vintage’ sailplane: plywood and fabric, gull wings, skid and struts. Plus, I can build two different rudders and cockpit enclosures to represent the sailplane in its two configurations. It has a nice aspect ratio so should actually be a ‘performer’ unlike my poor little Prufling which was a ‘glider’.”
Michael’s build thread can be found at this link: http://www.rcaerotowing.com/forum/showthread.php?751-1-6-Scale-1932-BS2-Balestruccio.
A direct link to the August 2012 edition of RCSD can be found by clicking this link: RC Soaring Digest, August 2012
Interested in the book? Purchase ’Italian Vintage Sailplanes’ by Vincenzo Pedrielli for just $60 from this great resource: Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
Here’s what else is contained in the August 2012 issue of RC Soaring Digest…
- The Black Eagle Trophy PSS Festival 2012 - Two Oceans Slope Soarers, Cape Town, South Africa. Coverage by Kevin Farr, photos by Schalk Human, Andy Imrie, Malcolm Riley, and Kevin Farr.
- Sky Limit altitude limiter/timer - Review of the Winged Shadow Systems ALES and F5J unit . By Larry Dunn.
- Reducing the Cost of Flying Sailplanes: Research Project – Part 2 - Ed Anderson follows up with descriptions of some alternative and inexpensive 2.4GHz systems.
- Fake Slope Reports - Philip Randolph’s coverage of bogus trips to the slopes.
- Photo Album – Jerilderie 2012 - Photo impressions of the Australian Nationals RC soaring events, June 9, 10, 11. (Sponsored by LSF Australia.) Photos by Andy MacDonald.
- HobbyKing Canary SQ - Rene Wallage reviews this cute 1200 mm span ARF.
- Maxa Jig and Template - A CNC fixtures to properly align the pod and boom during assembly, and a CNC scale to accurately measure aileron and flap deflection angles. By Francesco Meschia.
- Michael Kelly’s BS2 Balestruccio – Photos and details via Vincenzo Pedrielli.
- 32nd FAI World Gliding Championship - Uvalde Texas, July 28th – August 19th 2012. Courtesy of Andrew McKittrick.
- Steve Pasierb