Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Faltusmodel 5 meter ASW28/18 Composite

Hello Len

Yes inclined to agree with you there the other thing is keeping it simple which I like where your coming making alot of sence and what your saying here is backing up what Scott was also saying by keeping it simple sounds like a plan will attack it from that angle I think well not long to go 2 more weeks and the glider will be home....

The great news is my sleeping quarters is where my gliders home will be as this is where my work bench is hehe cant wait....

Hi Neil,

That's the nice thing about the ASW28, it's relatively simple. I just fly it around with 30% expo on all the control surfaces and its pretty much a pussycat. Though it will spin nicely if you get it too slow in a thermal turn, but then again so will any other airplane. Just fly it around as slow as you can without stalling it and that would be your approach speed. The spoilers are effective. The trick is to get the elevator compensation so that the airplane just looses altitude and doesn't slow down (pitch up) or speed up ( pitch up ) when the spoilers are raised.
    A friend of mine bought one so he could have something that would handle the wind at the JR Aerotow ( 5-15mph ) when it comes up.

Scott

Alittle fun at the 2012 JR Aerotow

Last edited by Marnochs; 09-27-2012 at 02:21 PM.

My landing strategy is different. Starting the landing circuit I put in one or two clicks down trim and basically let the glider fly itself, speed wise.
    Especially when it's a bit windy the true air speed can easily be misjudged when you only are seeing gound speed. I learned this from my two large Salto's which can flick in an instant when beeing only a bit too slow.

Also the newest models with percentage wise thin profiles have this tendency. A few years back at a tow meeting I saw the prototype of a now well known Tsjech 8 meter model, after a blistering performance, beeing wrecked when turning from the down wind leg into final. This was one of the first thin profiled gliders.

Guys I have to say your comments give are really appreciated dug deep this week to get this glider a bit quicker should have it this week I am going to a scale glider fun fly to see how the big boys do it I have been asked to bring my transmitter as I have a chance to fly these bigger gliders first hand maybe not as big as some of you just bigger than mine which I am very happy size wise well to be honest it fits into my Honda Jazz comfortabley so if possible maybe a 6 meter then that would be the biggest I will own and after reading on the forum here elsewhere on this site I would like a glider with flaps...

Scott what can I say but just plain magic my friend this is truely a fantastic site very inspiring indeed....

Actual feel quite humble being here with my smallish glider amongst you guys will say still as rewarding as ever though...

OK guys another question for you...

When flying I am a Mode 1 flyer do you fly with the throttles stick in the full forward postion...

Also do you have your airbrakes set up on the throttle stick so as you pull back it raises up your airbrakes now I know this could be personal but looking forward to your personal opinions on this ...

I also fly F3C helicopters which I setup a normal hover mode in mid stick I must say it will feel pretty uncany flying like with the throttle in full advance yes something I can get used to just wondered what you guys do...

So what I am getting at is do you have a landing mode if not how would you land and raise those airbrakes...

What function would you use...

Hi Neil,

Spoiler contol is on the throttle stick and it's personal preference as to wheather the sticks up or down. For me, I like to pretend I'm flying the full size glider in which you pull the spoiler control lever back to raise the spoilers.
    I also fly thermal duration gliders which you "lower the flaps" ( pull the stick back ) for landing so I'm use to that.

Scott

So then that means I will have it setup the right way good oh

Because that is what I will be doing most thermal duration which will be so...

I'm with Scott. Full forward, ( full throttle ) the spoilers are put away, pull back on the throttle, the spoilers come out and the plane lands. Just like a power plane.

LEN
    It's not complicated, bigger is better.

I'm backasswards.....yes I know....... ....I started out flying sailplanes way back when and set my spoiler stick to be "back" when the spoiler is retracted and "forward" when the spoilers are up. So the stick is down when the spoiler is down and up when the spoiler is up! I've tried to switch....but for me it just feels weird to have the rudder/ spoiler stick forward during normal flight.
    Vintage wood is the BEST!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I'm backasswards.....yes I know....... ....I started out flying sailplanes way back when and set my spoiler stick to be "back" when the spoiler is retracted and "forward" when the spoilers are up. So the stick is down when the spoiler is down and up when the spoiler is up! I've tried to switch....but for me it just feels weird to have the rudder/ spoiler stick forward during normal flight.
    I'm with Tom on this on
    Just feels more comfortable flying with the stick back when cruisin' thermals...

Jo